Supreme Court of Japan > About the Supreme Court > Justices of the supreme court > OJIMA Akira
Date of Birth:September 1, 1958
Graduated from the University of Tokyo, Faculty of Law in 1983
Graduated from the Cornell University Law School (LL.M.) in 1990
Appointed as a legal apprentice in 1983
- Appointed as a Judge, and then, assigned to Tokyo District Court, Kofu Family/District Court, General Affairs Bureau, Supreme Court, Trade Policy Bureau, Ministry of International Trade and Industry, Tokyo District court, Yokohama District Court
- Judge, Yokohama District Court
- Judge, Judicial Research Official, Supreme Court
- Judge, Tokyo High Court
- Counsellor, the Second Department, Cabinet Legislation Bureau
- Judge, Tokyo High Court
- Presiding Judge, Tokyo District Court
- Deputy Chief Judicial Research Official, Supreme Court
- Chief Judge, Shizuoka District Court
- Presiding Judge, Tokyo High Court
- Chief Judicial Research Official, Supreme Court
- President, Osaka High Court
- July 5, 2022 Justice of the Supreme Court
Things to Keep in Mind as a Justice
In my view, the essential value of the judiciary, which has been established through a long history, is that judges, who exercise independently their official authority from an impartial standpoint, solve disputes in a timely manner, through transparent proceedings. I will continue, as I have done so far, to engage in my duties, firmly keeping in mind these four basic elements, that is, impartial, independent, transparent, and timely.
"With shoes that fit my feet, I would be able to walk to anywhere I want to go."
This is the first sentence of the prologue to the book titled "Yourcenar's Shoes", written by SUGA Atsuko. I was impressed by the mindset to keep thinking about what you will need to achieve something.
Books that Left an Impression on Me
Judges are expected to have sophisticated skills in writing judgments and decisions as they are required to impart their thoughts to readers accurately with the texts they write; thus, in a sense, they can be described as writers.
The writers who impress me emotionally with their texts include TANIZAKI Junichiro, MISHIMA Yukio, and SHIBUSAWA Tatsuhiko. Among currently active writers, OGAWA Yoko's texts are impressive to me.
Playing flute: I am fascinated by Bach, Schumann, and Debussy.
Seeing plays: I enjoy seeing plays of any genre, from Zeami and CHIKAMATSU Monzaemon to BETSUYAKU Minoru and Keralino Sandorovich.
Appreciating art: In the Kansai Region, where I was working just before, there were many attractive museums. When I go on trips, I almost always visit museums around the destinations.